HTML5 has simplified the content development process for users of “what-you-see-is-what-you-get” (WYSIWYG) HTML editors. This means that your content will be current for years to come.
Five advantages of HTML5 support includes:
- The ability to integrate multimedia and graphic content without having to use third-party applications or plug-ins. HTML5 makes it possible to easily embed video, audio, drawings, charts, animation and other rich content without relying on another application.
- Improved semantics. HTML5 allows you to know the meaning and purpose of tags. And most DIV tags are replaced with semantic HTML5 elements.
- Greater consistency. As websites incorporate HTML5 elements, the code will become more consistent from one site to another. The result is a clearer understanding of how different web pages are structured.
- Better offline access. When creating a site, HTML5 allows developers to specify which files the browser should cache. That way, you don’t need to access the Internet to view pages. You can have files load faster because you’re offline and not dependent on server capacity.
- The ability to replace cookie data. Because cookie data is added to every HTTP request header, response time is negatively impacted. HTML5 uses a temporary database in place of cookies.
This is just a brief overview of HTML5 capabilities. HTML5 provides much, much more, and will begin to be used more extensively as time goes on. Therefore, an HTML editor (such as Ephox’s EditLive! 9 WYSIWYG editor) that taps into HTML5 capability will provide the most user benefits.
For more information on EditLive! 9’s HTML support, check out this blog:
EditLive! 9 Rich Text Editor Uses the Latest HTML5 Functionality